How can I get in touch with the Tax office contact support team?

The tax officer, also known as HMRC has a surprisingly strong social media presence considering it is not one of the most loved government departments. Its
Facebook page has over 19,000 followers and they actively monitor the page for questions. They have a 98% response rate and typically reply within an hour so if you have a simple question his might be a good option:

They are also on Twitter with a much stronger following of 375,000 people on their main twitter page, and they also have a dedicated customer help twitter with 14,000+ followers. HMRC state that they will reply to your tweets if you direct tweet @HMRCcustomers. The twitter is monitored 8am-10pm Monday-Friday and Saturday 8am-4pm.

There is also another Twitter feed

On the Gov website there is a web chat feature that can talk to an advisor live:

This site also has loads of information about PAYE,Self assessment, National insurance, child tax credits the Tax Office contact number and child benefit. This should be your first point before making contact.

If you would rather speak to someone on the phone you can ring:
0300 200 3300 8am-8pm Monday to Friday, 8am-4pm Saturday and 9am-5pm Sunday.
Textphone for the hard of hearing: 0300 200 3319
Calling from outside of the UK: +44135 535 9022

If you want would rather send a letter please write to:
Pay As You Earn and Self-Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

If you need to make a complaint about income tax you can ring the complaints line:
0300 200 3300 8am-8pm Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm Saturday.

Tax Credits:
0345 300 3900 8am-8pm Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm Saturday.

0300 200 3310 8am-8pm Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm Saturday.

National Insurance:
0300 200 3500 8am-8pm Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm Saturday.

Child Benefit:
0300 200 3100 8am8pm Monday to Friday, 8am-4pm Saturday.

VAT, Customs and International Trade and Excise:
0300 200 3700 8am-6pm Monday to Friday

Employers Support:
0300 200 3200 8am-8pm Monday-Friday, 8am-4pm Saturday.

You can also write your complaint about income tax or self-assessment to:
PAYE and Self-Assessment Complaints
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

Or about National Insurance or Employers support to :
NIC and EO Complaints
HM Revenue and Customs
United Kingdom

If you are not happy with the response received you can escalate your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health services ombudsman:
In order to do this, you will need to get your MP to back the complaint, you can find details of your local MP here:

You will need to fill in the complaint form and get your MP to sign it prior to sending it to the ombudsman, the complaint form can be found here:

If you need any help completing the form you can phone 0345 015 4033 for advice.
Once you have completed the form you can email it to:

Or you can send it to:
Customer Services
Parliamentary and Health Service Ombudsman
Millbank Tower

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published / Required fields are marked *