Tax Office Contact Phone Number | Call 0843 487 1818

Looking For Your Local Tax Office number? Call 0843 487 1818

Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HRMC) is a non-ministerial division of the Government, responsible for the administration and gathering of taxes, including income, corporation, capital gains, inheritance, value-added (VAT), stamp duty and tax. In addition, HMRC also handles environmental taxes as well as National Insurance, state support benefits such as Tax Credits, the administration of anti-money laundering legislation and the protection of the UK’s borders (through the UK Border Agency).

Whether you have an enquiry relating to personal or business taxation or a related benefit, you’ll find a wealth of information at Alternatively, due to the private nature of such financial enquiries, many people prefer to contact the Tax Office directly – to discuss your situation please phone the contact number provided.

For your convenience, we have highlighted a range of commonly raised taxation questions – providing at-a-glance answers for your reference.

How to completion of tax-returns and self-assessment online

This can seem daunting but with a little guidance, it needn’t be – we have illustrated a step-by-step guide featuring key issues, from stringent deadline dates to commercial software designed to assist with the personal tax return process.

Essential tax-return deadlines: 2017/2018

Self Assessment Deadline
Register for Self Assessment if you’re self-employed or a sole tradernot self-employed, or registering a partner or partnership 5 October 2017
Paper tax returns Midnight 31 October 2017
Online tax returns Midnight 31 January 2018
Pay the tax you owe Midnight 31 January 2018

Commercial software tools, designed to assist with self-assessment:

There are three kinds of commercial software packages available, supporting the different types of tax return, including the –

SA100 – aimed at individuals (including those who are self-employed)

SA800 – accommodating partnership tax returns

SA900 – outlining Trust and Estate tax returns

Please note that you will find a comprehensive list of commercial software suppliers at – alternatively please don’t hesitate to phone the Tax Office number provided.

Need help with HMRC tax self-assessment? Call 0843 487 1818

Despite being able to conduct tax returns by post or via HMRC online, it is often necessary to discuss requirements with a taxation expert. To raise any queries you have please call the Tax Office contact number – lines are open from 8 am to 8 pm on a Monday to Friday and from 8 am to 4 pm on a Saturday.

Tax Office Contact NumberTax Credits – aspects to consider when completing your renewal by phone

  • Did you know that if you have a child aged 16, 18 or 19 – if they are in full-time approved education or training, for example, an NVQ course or relevant traineeship (unpaid), this could have a beneficial effect on the amount of benefit you receive?
  • Childcare costs: If you qualify for assistance with paying for childcare whilst you are working, benefits typically amount up to £122.50 for 1 child and up to £210 per week for 2 or more children – depending on your income and the frequency of the childcare.
  • Claiming tax credits on behalf of someone else requires you to send a signed TC689 form to the Tax Credit Office – this provides authorization for 12 months (unless directed otherwise). Authorisation usually takes 2 days and it is possible to add more than one trustee (each with an individual TC689 form).
  • Renewing your tax credits requires some crucial information including, your National Insurance number, details of earnings (for you and your partner) for the last tax year and your unique 15-digit reference number (found in your renewal pack).
  • The Tax Credits renewal deadline is the 31st July – however, this will be confirmed in your renewal pack. Please note that missing the deadline can result in your payments being stopped.

Assistance with the completion of Tax Credits via telephone

Due to the personal nature of tax Credits, many claimants prefer to discuss their situation one-to-one – if you wish to contact the Tax Office directly, lines are open on a Monday to Friday from 8 am until 8 pm and on a Saturday from 8 am until 4 pm.

An employers’ guide to taxation procedures

As an employer, there are numerous taxation aspects to be aware of, for ease of reference we have listed some of the most regularly raised questions.

What Tax forms

There is a diverse range of documents that will prove essential to the running of your business, which include:

  • P11D Expenses & Benefits
  • SSP2 Statutory Sick Pay Record Sheet
  • P32 Employer Payment Record
  • SC2 Statutory Sick Pay
  • P46 (Car) – for the private use of a car by an employee or director

For a full insight into which forms are needed, click onto – alternatively please ask for details via the Tax Office phone number.


FPS and/or EPS figures should be submitted at the end of the tax year, sending relevant documents on the day you would usually pay your employees – for the majority of employers this will be the final payday before the end of tax year, which is 5th April.

Please note that your taxation software will inform you if all documentation has been successfully received by HMRC.

Tax Office Contact NumberNational Insurance contributions – employer responsibilities

If you have any staff registered as self-employed it is their responsibility to organise National Insurance payments, otherwise, contributions should be calculated through your PAYE system and entered via your FPS.

Starting a new tax year – aspects to remember

April 6th, 2013 witnessed the introduction of ‘real-time’ tax returns, which means employers now complete and return payroll information digitally rather than on paper. If you haven’t already made the change, most of the software required is available free of charge – once established any manual documentation must be transferred to digital format, this includes changes to tax codes, income tax details and National Insurance contribution rates.

Once again, further information can be found at or by calling the Tax Office phone number provided between the hours of 8 am and 8 pm on a Monday to Friday or from 8 am and 4 pm on a Saturday.

Tax Office Contact Number – 0843 487 1818

Call 0843 487 1818

Tax Office contact numberHM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) manages the taxation of individuals, employees and businesses. The ins and outs of completing a tax return, navigating the Value Added Tax (VAT) or figuring out deductions from employee payrolls can be overwhelming, and many people find the need to ask for help. Fortunately, the answers to all tax-related questions can be found by calling the tax office contact number.

For the HMRC website click here

Individuals Tax Office

There are several different tax office numbers available to individuals and employees. Have a question about applying for a child tax benefit, completing an income tax return for tax credits or navigating the taxation issues around estate inheritance following the passing away of an elderly relative? Much information is available on the tax office website and by calling a specific helpline related to the issue at hand.

Find My Local Tax Office

For employees wondering how their income gets taxed, as well as self-employed individuals wondering how to manage their taxes, there are contact numbers to help. There is also a tax office phone number for those applying for sick leave insurance, parental leave benefits and other forms of social insurance.

Employers Tax Office

Managing staff can be tricky, and figuring out how to set up employee payroll deductions as well as how to claim employee expenses are often challenging for business owners. New employers specifically may have questions they need to get answered. Fortunately, there is a tax office phone number just for new employees. There is also a separate contact number for established employers who just have a question in need of an answer or a new situation come up with an employee.

Tax Office contact numberBusinesses

Businesses and corporations cover a wide range of groups, from large companies and retail chains to groups and clubs to charities, and the tax rules change from group to group. For businesses having trouble with the VAT, there is a specific tax office number, and there is also a unique number of charities and clubs. For accountants wondering how taxation will interact with the company’s pension schemes, there is also a specific number. Businesses with overseas assets and questions regarding trade, customs and excise taxes also have a unique tax office number.